Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What keeps you going?

Bear with me for a minute while I give you some background. There is a point to this story!


I mentioned in an earlier post that my Father-in-law (Budge) was training me. He is 69 years old, bikes competitively, and was a phys ed teacher (he has a masters for it, too). The man knows what he is doing. I have a great deal of respect for him.


Several days a week I drive the 22 minutes from our house, walk on his treadmill for an hour, and drive the 22 minutes back. I walk locally on the other days (I take Fridays off). Budge has a plan for me each and every day, mixing distance, endurance and interval training. Each day is different and I have a plan every day to follow. The Hour and 45 minutes is a big hole in my day, but I do it, because I am worth it.


He rides his bike next to me every day. He has a contraption where he rides but the bike stands upright and doesn't move (obviously). Every day we watch a different bike race. I mean a Tour de France type of race. Long races -- each of the days of the race are over 100 miles of biking.


I have been going there for 6 weeks -- I am now conversant in bike lingo, races, gear -- you name it. My FIL is a walking cycling/racing encyclopedia, and he shares with me all the time. And you know what? I actually enjoy this!


Okay, this is where we get to the meat of what I have been thinking about today...


Yesterday, my task was to warm up, then walk three miles at the pace he set, then cool down, for a total walk of 3.5 miles. One hour of walking or less, depending on my heart rate and pace. Really, a cakewalk, considering that it is what I have been doing lately. The only problem is that I got into the walk, and after 1/2 mile of walking at pace, I just felt like I couldn't walk another step. My head was screaming at me to STOP!!!


So I made a deal with myself. Just walk another 1/2 mile. Just work through it. And I did. I made another deal. Just walk another half mile...and when I got to that point, I had an epiphany.


Here I am, just on a treadmill, just walking, watching these bikers. They are cycling 100 miles a day! What is wrong with me that I can't force myself to walk just 3 stinkin' miles?


You know what? That motivated me. I walked those three miles.


And today, when I was walking outside and had another of those "Maybe-I-will-just-walk-only-two-miles-instead-of-the-whole-enchilada" moments, I thought of those racers. And I walked the whole enchilada, plus an extra quarter mile just for good measure.


From now on, I think I will use the racers to keep me going. I am going to visualize them every time I hit that wall. If they can bike 100 miles, then I can certainly do my walk and get through it!
My question to you is this: What keeps you going? What do you use when you hit the wall? Please share it with me!

Okay, now for the quick update. Last week I lost two pounds, and this week, 1 pound -- for a total weight loss of 28 pounds. I just can't wait to get to 30!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat,
Keep it going! Don't you love being "forced" to buy new clothes?? It's a great feeling.

I work out at the rec center while Kyle swims. What keeps me going is the upbeat music in the work out room, and the thought that Kyle always asks me about my workout when he's done swimming. Like you, I figure, if those little kids can swim 1,000 yards or more (in 45 minutes) at least I can keep going on the treadmill or eliptical for that amount of time. And, it's an embarrassment. At 8 years old, Kyle can swim faster and farther than I can. I have to keep doing something to give myself a fighting chance at keeping up with him for the next 10 years!

Because I'm only half way to my long term weight loss goal (and budget restraints) I haven't bought a lot of new clothes. I think the weirdest thing is to be able to pull off my pants without unbuttoning the waistband. I'm not quite there yet with my "skinny" jeans. When I hit that point, it will be time to buy all new jeans, for sure.

Are you keeping track of what works for you, week by week? Looking back at the "good" weeks helps me to focus on what works, especially when I've had a "gain" weigh in.

It's a journey.

Niki

Terri Capobianco said...

Hi Pat,

Way to go! It does put a hole in the day, doesn't it? But you are worth it!

I think I am motivated by the challenge. When I committed to exercise 3 years ago, I was taking baby steps. It was all I could do to get through 20 minutes on the elliptical. When I started working with a personal trainer (ala, your FIL) she challenged me to do one more rep, work one level up, jog instead of walk. She set the bar just a little higher every visit, and I began to enjoy challenging myself to see how much more I could do every day.

That attitude has carried over into life; I find I relish physical tasks now (like spreading 10 yards of mulch in 6 hours!) instead of groaning about them.

Oh, and like Niki said, an iPod full of kick-butt tunes never hurt either!

I am down just shy of 80 pounds since 9/05, 40 since December. And shrinking out of my clothes has never felt so good!! I'm actually struggling to find clothes to wear, because most of them don't look good on me...because they are BAGGY!! Can't remember that EVER happening to me!

Keep up the good work!
Terri

cjknick said...

Pat, keep going girl! You're doing great. Down 20+ lbs? Wowsers! I want that!

I'm doing 2 miles 3x a week at the gym on the treadmill. I haven't seen much change. I think I need to do more.

Do you meal plan? What's helping you with that? That's my weakness... I need help in that area.

You go girl!

Cindy in Boise

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Congratulations on your weight loss. I think it is neat that you have such a wonderful relationship with FIL. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

"The Hour and 45 minutes is a big hole in my day, but I do it, because I am worth it."

Wow! This really touched me, Pat! I can't tell you how many times I have shirked off even half an hour of activity because I didn't want to sacrifice the time! But you know what? We ARE worth it!! I need to remember this every day!
Love your bike inspiration!
You haven't posted here in a while. Are you still on track? Hope so! Hugs!
Ursula